Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Am I low, or is this "just a bad dream"...

I woke up during the middle of the night Tuesday night around 2:00 am, from a dream with my heart beating really fast.  Most people would just say "bad dream" and go back to sleep.  However, bad dreams and fast heartbeat are signs of a low blood sugar, and I really didn't want to get out of bed to check it. I have this inner dialog with myself, kind of like Lizzie McGuire. I thought to myself, is this a low blood sugar or "just a bad dream". Something about being wakened in the middle of the night makes a person not so rational, I tell myself its just a dream.  I pull out a memory from my lamaze classes, "if it's real labor it won't go away and you won't be able to fall back to sleep" and tell myself, "if it is a low blood sugar it won't stop, and I won't fall back to sleep".  Stupid right, but I just didn't want to get out of bed.  Well I woke up at 6:00 am, inner dialogue again "must not have been my blood sugar, but then I started thinking, what if it was and my liver decided to do it's job and produce glucose, well then you dummy you will wake up with a high blood sugar which is no way to start the day".  Got up, checked, it was 80, WOW great number. Guess it was "just a bad dream".  I wish this all was "just a bad dream".



1 comment:

Unknown said...

finding your blog because you were kind enough to comment on a post of mine. Looks like you haven't written in some time - I know how that goes.
This post struck a cord with me. I don't have D but all 3 of my kids do. I don't always have to get up in the wee morning hours to check Blood sugars, usually only about 2x a week although some of that is because I stay up till midnight and do the last checks then and usually I can tell how numbers will go by that time. anyway - I am ashamed to admit Ive had conversations with myself occasionally when my alarm goes off at 2am or 3am or whenever I am supposed to check because I gave some large correction bolus at midnight. You would think as a mom I would just jump out of bed and do what is necessary but sometimes Im just exhausted. The alarm goes off and I know I should check - what if the correction was too much? what if the correction wasn't enough? what if it was a bad pump site and the correction did nothing? Still there have been times Ive talked myself out of getting out of bed because I was just that tired. More than once I paid the price for that inner conversation - a kid waking up at 40 or still at 500. The guilt is ridiculous. Diabetes is ridiculous. Im glad the night you shared was not a low. Thanks again for the comment on my page. also your title has put the song Bohemian Rhapsody in my head. duh.